Chicken curry with blueberries and goji berry pilau
From Gurpareet Bains’ Indian Superfood (26/06/2010) Absolute Press
For the Curry
- 20g coriander, chopped
- 200g fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 500g low-fat Greek yoghurt
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 500g chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tsp garam masala
For the Pilau Rice
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 50g goji berries
- Handful of peas
- Blend the chopped coriander, blueberries, ginger and salt with 500g of low-fat Greek yoghurt, and set aside.
- Place the chopped garlic into a saucepan with the olive oil and heat on a low-medium flame until the garlic starts to turn brown – this should take no longer than one or two minutes.
- Add the turmeric, mix well and heat through for 20 seconds. Mix in the ground cinnamon and chilli powder and cook for a further 20 seconds.
- Add the chopped chicken breast, and seal, stirring frequently – this should take no more than five minutes.
- Now slowly pour the yoghurt mixture, mixing into the chicken, and bring to a simmer on a low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes uncovered, stirring from time to time. Mix through the garam masala and garnish with extra coriander.
- To cook the pilau place the cumin seeds and olive oil into a saucepan and heat on a low-medium flame until the seeds begin to pop – about three minutes.
- Fry the onion and cook until soft. Then add the turmeric powder, stir and heat for 20 seconds and add one grated carrot. Cook for two minutes.
- Place the onion mixture, basmati rice, pinch of salt and the 1 3/4 cups of boiling water into a large microwaveable bowl and mix with a fork. Cook uncovered in the microwave for 4 minutes (700W), 3 1/2 minutes (800W) or 3 minutes (900W).
- Mix and cook for a further 4 minutes (700W), 3 1/2 minutes(800W) or 3 minutes (900W).
- Finally cover and continue to cook for 4 minutes (700W), 3 1/2 minutes (800W) or 3 minutes (900W).
- To finish add the goji berries and peas and let stand covered for 10 minutes. Fluff the pilau with a fork, and serve.